Thursday, November 13, 2014

#10 ~ Honey Lebkuchen ~ Germany (page 150)

I love a ginger cookie so I knew I would like these - Honey Lebkuchen or "Honiglebkuchen" from Germany.  These are very reminiscent of another German cookie, Pfefferneuse, which I've made in the past but they have a harder, crunchier texture.

The sweet base of the dough is a mixture of butter, honey, sugar, egg and lemon rind. Added to this is flour which has been spiced with ginger, cinnamon, mace, cloves and cardamom. This was my first time using cardamom, which has an oddly sweet-smelling yet spicy fragrance.

Traditionally the cookies are cut out in heart shapes of varying sizes so I looked through my cutters to see what I had and managed to find hearts in five different sizes. I always think that I don't like rolling dough and cutting out shapes. It seems like a tedious task. But once I get going with it I actually do enjoy the process. There's something satisfying about cutting out such precisely shaped pieces of dough. 


Once baked the cookies are decorated with a thin icing made from icing sugar, lemon juice and a little bit of water. The finished product looks like this -


Lots of cookies to eat, share and even freeze for later!

Next Up: Almond Tea Cakes

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing! I love the blend of spices and the hint of lemon in the icing. A wonderful cookie with tea. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete